Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grandma Ruth

We have been spending a lot of time reminiscing and reflecting the last few days... On Wednesday afternoon my 96 year old grandma was taken to the hospital. Grandma Ruth was still living by herself in her own house on my family's farm. With family so close by at the farm, she was never alone for too long. My dad had a routine of checking on her many times a day. On Wednesday Grandma started her day like normal but by early afternoon, it was clear something was wrong. By Thursday morning, my parents and my aunt were given the sad news that my Grandma's time with us was drawing to a close. Grandma was smiling and talking with us on Thursday night; even joking about Ella's gaping smile. Now her strength is fast fading away.

I have been fortunate to have some quiet moments sitting with my Grandma and with my family the past few days. I've had a chance to talk to her, sing to her, hold her hand, and kiss her forehead. I've watched my grandma find some hidden away strength so she could open her eyes and reach out to the sound and touch of her great-grandchildren. There have been many bittersweet moments these past few days... To my family and friends, I ask for your prayers during the next few days for peaceful rest for my Grandma.


Here are Chuck, Greg and me with my Grandma on Christmas Day just a few short weeks ago.

1 comment:

M said...

Carrie,

You are certainly all in our prayers- may the Lord bring your grandmother home peacefully.