Monday, July 28, 2008

Getting Ready for the Fair!

Our county fair officially started today. Anyone who knows us well, realizes that we won't be home too much this week--we'll be at the fair. Fair week was always a big deal for my family. Growing up, my brothers and I were in 4-H and brought many animals and projects to the fair. Maybe the fair is in my blood because I was born during fair week and married during fair week. Mark and I, along with our wedding party, even visited the fair between our wedding and reception. So, it should be no surprise that we were entering exhibits for the fair on Saturday, Sunday and today.


On Sunday we went out to the field to gather oats. It has become a little bit of a family competition to enter Grandpa Jim's field crops in the children's names and see who can get first prize. My brother, Greg, is certain his kids will have the winners this year, but we will see!

The dew points are really high here right now, so we all almost melted while we were entering our vegetables and flowers. Mark entered onions, beans, summer squash, blackberries, raspberries, peppers, tomatoes, peas, and zucchini. We helped the kids enter summer squash, string beans and tomatoes along with their field crops. I entered a few different types of flowers from my flower garden. I do think that my stargazer lilies looked pretty good, but who knows what will happen. Mark is still in search of his first big purple ribbon. Maybe this will be his year! The judging takes place tomorrow, so look for an update tomorrow night!

For now, here are some fun pictures from Saturday night when we were harvesting our oats in the field with Grandpa Jim and Grandma Judy.











1 comment:

Stacy said...

Good luck at the fair! (Here's where I prove that I really am a city girl - I've only been to one county fair in my life, and I was shocked that they really have judging and contests and even pig races.) :-)