Thursday, December 18, 2008

Exactly Ten Years Ago Today...

Ten years ago from about this very moment, Mark and I were eating a wonderful dinner at the Hubble House in Mantorville. This was a dinner that would change everything... Mark had driven down from the cities that Friday night and arrived a little later than normal. He had been in the habit of claiming to be stuck in traffic on his drive down, but I later found out he had a little project at a local jewelry store he was working on. After a fun but exhausting week of teaching a classroom full of second graders, I was always excited to see Mark on Friday nights. That particular evening, I was looking forward to a great dinner and then some fun at the 21st birthday party for my cousin in a neighboring town. The night was even better than I had hoped for. At the end of dinner, Mark got down on one knee, recited a sweet little poem he had made up and presented me with a single red rose. Inside the flower's blossom, was a beautiful diamond ring that I discovered as Mark asked me to marry him. Of course, I said YES!! I was so excited and had been waiting for Mark to get around to asking for a quite awhile...but that is another story.

Ten years later, I can't help but be a little reflective tonight. As we enjoyed a nice family dinner around our table this evening and listened to the banter of our two beautiful children, I couldn't help but think back to that special moment ten years ago. At that time, I don't know how I had envisioned us, as a couple, ten years into the future from that very special moment. I am quite certain, however, that the life and love that I have now is far beyond anything thing I was dreaming of on that fateful night ten years ago. Thank you for asking me to marry you, honey! I think it was a pretty good move on your part and I am sure glad I said yes!! I love you!

No comments: