Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Wrap Up and Great Baby News!

We had a great Thanksgiving weekend. The kids are so worn out from shortened and lack of naps that they are BOTH still napping and it is almost five o'clock. I guess I will be waking them up soon!

Mark's parents joined us on Thanksgiving day and I think our Thanksgiving dinner turned out excellent, even to pregnant me who doesn't have a huge appetite. One of my favorite things to eat at Thanksgiving has always been the mashed potatoes and I am thrilled to say that they agree with baby #3. I was happy to have a big plate full and a few meals of leftover potatoes over the weekend--yum!! After James had a nap, we went to the Festival of Trees which is a fundraiser for a local organization. Walking through a hundred lit and beautifully decorated Christmas trees with the scent of gingerbread in the air is enough to get anyone in the holiday spirit.

On Friday, we had a much larger Thanksgiving celebration with twenty-six people sitting down to a great smoked turkey and ham dinner at my brother's house. Again we had a great meal and the kids enjoyed playing with all their cousins. We attempted to take a picture with our kids and their six little cousins, but our photo shoot wasn't too successful. Unfortunately, it was our tired out James who wanted nothing to do with having his picture taken...what a surprise! All the other kids were sitting nicely so we plopped him on the couch at the last moment and the results weren't pretty...but it still was entertaining! : ) I know for a fact that none of those pictures will make it into my parents' Christmas letter this year.

Friday night brought some of my high school friends over for an evening of visiting and game playing. My friend Shawna and her husband, Jeff, brought their little Julia over to play with the kids. Ella and James were in heaven teaching Julia all sorts of new tricks. I think that Ella wants a baby sister even more now...if that is possible! After the kids were settled in for the night, Polly, Megan and her fiance, Terry arrived and the visiting and game playing began. It was a great night and a rare opportunity for all of us to be together again! I'm the only one still living in town.

On Saturday, I tested Mark's patience as I tried to find the perfect Christmas tree. By the end of the night our tree was decorated with help from our eager little elves. I think I will do a separate post on the tree decorating... Let's just say, I underestimated James' enthusiasm and dedication to decorating our Christmas tree.

We woke up to snow on Sunday so we all headed outside to enjoy some sledding a few times during the day. James can now slide down the hill by himself this year and pull his own sled back up! He is getting so big! On Sunday night, my mom and ventured out on very slippery roads to attend the King's Singers concert. The singers were excellent and a perfect end to a busy weekend!

Today while the kids were in school, Mark and I had the joy of seeing our new baby waving too us on an ultrasound screen. I am now 18 weeks along and we received a great report from the radiologist this morning. Most of you know that our children have had a few problems with their kidneys and since these problems are genetic, this baby will be followed a little more closely in utero and have a few additional tests at birth. I have to admit to being a little anxious for this ultrasound, so I was relieved when the radiologist told us that the renal tract looks as it should at this point and there are no obvious problems to worry about for now. The baby weighs only eight ounces though, so what they can see at this stage is limited. We will have another big ultrasound when I am closer to thirty weeks to see how things are developing then. Neither James' or Ella's issues were detected this early, so I suppose we are not completely out of the woods, but it sure does feel good to know that the baby's development looks excellent thus far. I hope to scan in some pictures soon. To those wondering, we didn't find out the baby's gender. The wondering and anticipation is so fun! So, everyone will have to wait-- including our 'anxious for a baby sister' Ella!!

Here are a few pictures from the weekend:

Our Thanksgiving Dinner and the kids are hiding from the camera.

James at the Festival of Trees

Ella at the Tree Festival

Grandma and Grandpa O and the kids.

Family Photo



Attempt at a picture of the little cousins on my side of the family. See how happy James is?




Cousin Bella and James doing a fun puzzle with cousin K.C.


Ella and Julia who is hamming it up for the camera!



James hugging Julia after the gift of a belated birthday present. Thank you!!



Ella watching out for Julia.


James sledding down our hill.


A happy girl!

Bundled up kids enjoying the snow.

A sled full!!!
Hope your weekend was as fun as ours!!!














2 comments:

Aki said...

Hello. I was blog-hopping and came across your blog. I like the pictures you chose, makes me feel you appreciate life very much.

If enough people can be half as happy as you the world will be a much better place =)

Lisa

OhCaptain said...

Looks a lot of fun!

Glad to hear the baby is doing well.