Monday, December 19, 2011

Celebrating the Season!

Yesterday was a very busy, very perfect day of Christmas worship that we and Ella will probably remember forever.  At the beginning of November, the director of our adult church choir that I sing in asked me if I thought Ella would sing the children's choir part as a solo in our Christmas Cantata called "Celebrate the Season".  I told him I would ask her and let him know what she said.  That night, I explained this unique opportunity to Ella.  I told her she'd have to sing in front of the whole adult choir at practice and then stand in front of the whole congregation and sing into a mic all by herself on the performance day.  A year ago, I know her answer would have been an immediate, "No!".  So, I was honestly a little surprised that Ella said yes without too much hesitation the day after I asked her if she would sing.  What sold her on this opportunity was the word microphone.  Ella REALLY wanted to sing in a microphone. 

Ella learned her part by practicing with me at home.  After Thanksgiving, she had her first sing thru with the choir and pianist.  She did great and her enthusiasm never wavered.  On Saturday, she practiced like a pro with the full choir and mini orchestra.  Yesterday, Mark and I were over-filled with happiness and so very proud as we watched our little girl spread the message of God's love through music.  She brought smiles to faces and tears to the eyes of many (including, but not limited, to Grandma Judy and Grandpa Jim!) while singing her solo so beautifully.  She was poised and seemed so calm, like this was the most natural thing for her to do.  The entire choir was so supportive and encouraging of her and helped to make the entire process a very positive experience for Ella, for which I am very thankful. Ella was so excited to have so many of her special family and friends there to share this experience with her.  It meant a lot to all of us that you could share in our delight and celebrate the story of Christmas together with us yesterday.

I wish that I could have bottled up all the beautiful music and all the Christmas love and energy that filled our sanctuary yesterday to keep forever.  Instead, we are grateful and blessed to have lived the moments together and will forever cherish the memories we made.  This year will be hard to top, but I am looking forward to singing with my children at more Christmas concerts for many more Christmas seasons to come.  

Our friend captured this video at the first service.  You will hear the narration, choir, orchestra (piano, synth, bass guitar, cello, violin, oboe and flute) and I think you won't have any trouble figuring out when Ella is singing.  If you look very close at the beginning, you will find me sitting second from the left in the second row wearing red.  Enjoy and  MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments: