Friday, October 16, 2009

Recovering...

We've been keeping pretty busy around here. How does the social calendar of a 1st grader fill up so fast? Yesterday, James had school and Ella got to stay home with me because of "MEA" break. Ella, Claranna and I had a relaxing morning, then we had a former teacher collegue over to visit in the late morning and Ella had a play date in the afternoon. As soon as Mark was home from work, we started out for St. Paul with Ella, her friend Sierra and her mom. We took the girls to see Little House on the Prairie the Musical at the Ordway. The musical stars Melissa Gilbert as "Ma". It was Ella's first big show and she seemed to like it, though she quickly fell asleep on the drive home. I really enjoyed the musical, as I knew I would. I love musicals and loved the Little House T.V. series when I was younger. It was a great night, though we nearly hit a deer on the way home!

Today there were seven children playing in our home--thankfully, not all at the same time! Ella and James had a chance to play with all their little cousins from my side of the family. Bryce and Brennen stopped by in the a.m. and then Trenton and Trista spent a few hours here over lunchtime and for most of the afternoon. Now, James, Claranna and I are hanging out at home waiting for an old college friend to arrive for a visit and Mark and Ella are off at the movies with some of Ella's classmates and her teachers. They went to see Where the Wild Things Are. Hope they like it! Ella also has two friend's birthday parties to attend this weekend. She is a busy girl...and we seem to be busy driving her around. Can't imagine what it will be like when all three of the kids have loaded social calendars!

James and I are still recovering from his surgery last week--James from the actual procedure and myself from embarrassment... We have one more week to keep doing the post surgery care. We'll all be so excited when we are done with that. James still has some pain, mostly when he is in the bathroom, but sometimes there seems to be pain when has done a lot of walking. This was illustrated to me very clearly this week when we were near the end of our errands at Target. Let's just say that James stopped walking abruptly and loudly shared that a specific and very private area of his body was hurting when we were in the very populated cereal aisle at Target! My cart was full with groceries and with Claranna, and I can't carry him on my hip because of his surgery. But, I did manage to pick him up and get all of us to the checkout and out the door very quickly after his very dramatic display.

Claranna and I have been trying something new this week and it is called a completely dairy free diet. It has been extremely hard for this dairy farm girl and former dairy princess to cut out all forms of dairy (including by products) from her diet. Since it means I am getting more sleep at night though, it has definitely been worth it so far. Claranna's weight was up to 12 lbs., 1 ounce last week, so she's growing but is now very tiny for a baby her age--now in the less than 3rd percentile. James and Ella were also small babies; but, they maintained their percentiles. Claranna's percentiles have been steadily dropping since birth. Claranna has a beautiful smile and has her happy moments, but she also has moments when she is very upset and seems to have a lot of stomach distress. Based on this, her slow weight gain and other symptoms, our doctor is thinking that Claranna may have a milk protein allergy. The best way to find out for sure is to elimiate all forms of dairy from her diet for two to four weeks and see if there are improvements. Since I am nursing, that means I have to keep dairy out of my diet, too. I have not had any form of dairy for eight long days. I am really missing chocolate, cheese and ice-cream. Since dairy hides in everything, our doctor has suggested a special formula for Claranna and we are in the process of trying to switch to that, but with Claranna's sensitive tummy it will be slow going. Until then, I will be busy dreaming of lots of dairy rich meals in my head. Hope I am eating them again soon!!!

1 comment:

M said...

Wowsa! How are you keeping up with everything?

I really wish I had been at Target that day. Two reasons, 1) I could have used a good laugh and 2) obviously to help you. :)

Thanks for the offer of the costume. My sister picked up the Mulan costume from the Disney store as a "back-up." With any luck that thing from Hong Kong will land on my doorstep tomorrow. (Like how I blogged about C never losing her teeth and the next day it came out!)