Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thanksgiving at the Farm

On the day after Thanksgiving, we had another holiday celebration with my family. We had another huge meal and then enjoyed an afternoon playing around the farm and playing cards inside.

The kids went exploring outside after dinner. They were gone for a little while, when I decided it was time to see what they were up to. I found all of them in the barn with Uncle Lance watching a cow that was having a calf. Most of the kids have seen this before, but it's always pretty cool when we are at the farm at the right time to witness the arrival of a baby calf. The cow was having trouble delivering and Lance was attempting to pull the calf. It was a big calf for a little cow and it was going to take a little more help. So, when the situation became critical, I joined my brother in the pen and helped him pull the calf. It's been several years since I've pulled a calf, but it was fun helping my brother (and the cow) out! Though, if I had known I was going to end up in a cow pen, I would have worn different shoes to the barn!

Here are a few pics from our day.

The crew in the barn:
The calf just born and it's mommy licking it.




Claranna hanging out with Great Grandma Ruth at Grandma & Grandpa's house.
Ella and Uncle Lance on the skid loader.
Checking back to see the baby calf taking its first steps.




Ella and the kitten she unsuccessfully begged to bring home.
The sun setting at the end of a great day at the farm.


A short video clip of the just born calf:

No comments: